13 April, 2011

Honey Lime Chili Grilled Veggies

Last weekend brought some pretty fantastic weather... FINALLY!
With warm weather comes the desire to play outside, cook outside, and eat outside. I'm very happy to report that Matt and I started to build the raised-beds for our garden (yes, this is what I consider "playing"), and I'm so anxious to get planting! Soon enough I'll be writing posts such as this one, and the veggies will be home grown. We've been waiting to be able to do this for a long time and I'm so glad we finally own a spot to get started. But enough about that...

Usually, when we grill I make sure to have a hoard of awesome grilled veggies to go along with whatever tofu/veggie burgers/etc. I am grilling as a main course. Most of the time the veggies end up taking over, and that was definitely the case with these.

In a small bowl, combine:

Zest of one lime (save for juice required below!)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Set aside.

For the veggies:

2 large yellow summer squash, washed and sliced halfway, then lengthwise
2 large zucchini, washed and sliced halfway, then lengthwise
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
salt and pepper, to taste



Whisk lime juice and honey together, then pour over veggies. Toss to ensure veggies are coated, then lightly sprinkle with salt and some pepper.

Grill the veggies over med-high heat for about 3 minutes on each side, or until slightly charred. Once plated, sprinkle with lime-chili powder mixture and devour.


*Note: I'm almost positive the lime-chili powder mixture goes well with any grilled veggies. I got the idea from a Bobby Flay recipe I had made for grilled sweet potatoes a while back and they were SOOOO good. I thought the honey would make a nice, subtle, sweet addition instead of tossing the veggies with oil of any sort.





No comments:

Post a Comment